I’m not too skilled in the art of packing. I’ve learned things by doing but I’ve become pretty good at taking only a carry-on size suitcase just about everywhere. Sometimes I’m really diligent and start months in advance so that I can take my time pulling it apart and putting it back together (yeah, like Tetris). Smetimes I throw random crap into a large shopping bag and then forget to actually put it in my suitcase until the night before (since I wasn’t planning on sleeping much anyway). Here are random things I’ve learned through my packing and traveling adventures.
- One of my fave organizers in the whole world is this handy purse organizer. I got it on Ebay from a shop in China (it took a while to ship) but it has come in handy more times than I can count. I use it every single day and it’s really useful for all those little random travel items I keep on trips.
- I love love love any kind of Japanese discount store. They always have the best cheap little travel things from bottles and tubes to travel slippers and individual paper masks. Daiso is my absolute favorite. Everyone in my family loves it including my dad who cringed at the cute pink J-pop look the first time I brought him to one of their stores. About 30 minutes and $20 in the electronics section later, he was converted. One of the best things about these stores is the fact that the cosmetics are dirt cheap and designed for Asians so I have less trouble color matching.
- I have three different methods of packing for different accomodations. When I stay at hotels, I usually don’t bother with shampoo, conditioner, or body wash. My hair is relatively resilient when it comes to washes so as long as I bring my usual styling products (Orofluido and Bumble & Blumble Straight Blow Dry) and a round brush, my hair dries fast and stays about the same. When I visit friends and am staying at someone’s house, I bring my handy little Bliss Sinkside set with me since it has everything in a nice coordinating pack. Everywhere I go, I like to bring a mini face treatment with me like Bliss That’s Incredi-Peel packs and Kate Somerville’s Exfolikate. When I’m visiting Marc, I just pack my basic cosmetics since I left full size toiletries on the boat. This makes life so easy!
- I love packing bright lipsticks and eyeliners for trips. They change looks or match outfits without adding a ton of bulk to my make-up bag. That and scarves. I’m addicted to scarves.
- I’m obsessed with Ebay. No joke. At least a couple weeks before trips, I scour Ebay for great travel size items. I’ve found so many amazing deals from eyeliners to masks and Chanel creams. Such a gold mine! And I’ve found some of the cutest eye masks here too.